Starting a business is a huge undertaking. There are tax and liability issues to consider, state and federal laws to comply with, and a great deal of legal paperwork to manage. With so much work involved, it's easy to make mistakes that could cost you money in the long run. However, an experienced business planning attorney can help.
A Skilled Virginia Lawyer Can Help Get Your New Business Off to the Right Start
Although it usually isn't legally necessary to work with an attorney when starting a business in Virginia, business owners who opt for legal counsel initially are often glad they did. Here's why:
- Business attorneys help with tax and liability considerations. One of the first things you have to do when starting a business in Virginia is to choose the legal structure for your business. Sole proprietorships, general partnerships, limited liability companies (LLCs), and corporations are popular choices, and each offers pros and cons with regard to liability and tax obligations. A skilled business attorney who understands these legal structures can help you choose one that's right for your business.
- Business attorneys handle paperwork. Managing legal paperwork can be stressful, especially when there are other things that need your focus. A business attorney and his staff can manage this paperwork for you.
- Business attorneys draft agreements and review contracts. Agreements and contracts with clients, customers, vendors, and landlords are a regular part of conducting business. An attorney can draft and review agreements and contracts to ensure they're in your business's best interest.
- Business attorneys ensure strict legal compliance. Failing to comply with state and federal laws can have serious consequences for a business. A business attorney knows just what laws your business must follow and can make sure it's in compliance.
- Business attorneys offer advice on best practices. Having best practices in place can help protect your business. Business attorneys can offer valuable advice on hiring, firing, and other employment practices.
If you're starting a business in Virginia, working with a skilled business planning attorney can give you the freedom and peace of mind you need to focus on what's important: making your business a success. At Quest Law, we know and understand business law and can handle all legal paperwork, so you don't have to. If you have a question about starting a business in Midlothian or the Richmond area, call us at 804-396-3329 to schedule an appointment for a private consultation.